Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Chapters 4,5,6 (2)

From May 21, 2014

Out of his class, the general demographic is mostly Latino, and mostly ESL learners. What i noticed and thought was sharp was that he focuses so much on grammar. I hear the older generations complain about "kids today" about just that. You want a fine example? Look at any form of social media. In fact, in my first couple English classes in college every teacher deducted points for "text talk" and said that it was a huge problem.

I liked how he went over the transitions of the importance of grammar education. From early on a big push, to it being kind of forgotten about. Even now, in some of the classes we have had and in some of the information I read, I see many educators with the idea that if the grammar is poor the work is fine if it makes sense. Personally, every time I see or hear that I want to vomit. I don't care how nice your idea is, if it has the grammar of a hyperactive five-year old, I cannot take it seriously.

To this point, I find his ideas and his approaches refreshing. I like that even though it is not mandated, he pushes grammar. For him to get fantastic results out of English writers who learned it as a second language is quite amazing.

 I know as I read further, that I will eventually read his ideas and think "oh no way." To this point, it has been one good idea after another.

No comments:

Post a Comment