Wednesday, May 28, 2014

EDN 300 Blogging (2)

From May 20, 2014

I sat and read the first three chapters of Rafe's book. Although I enjoy reading and frequently do so, if I were to say that I generally enjoy the selections picked out for class reading, i'd be lying. Fortunately, I really enjoyed reading this book so far. Unfortunately, my own copy hasn't shown up at my door yet...and if it was I would probably be going to bed VERY late tonight.

I enjoyed his approach to his own style-that he always can get better. I found the situations interesting, and often would stop and think about what i'd do in my own classroom. I enjoyed his slight jabs at the ridiculousness of standardized testing, and really found insight in his opinions on the "reward" system. Looking at my own journey from K-12 it made a significant amount of sense.

Overall, I am excited to continue reading and see a different take on education. I especially enjoy his style, his voice, when it comes to how he writes.

The situation at the very beginning of the book, the Teacher who dumped the kid's backpack, I cannot imagine who would think that was any kind of good idea. I had teachers who "spanked" until I was near the end of elementary school, and as much as I dislike that, the sheer humiliation and "finger pointing" of that kind of punishment was disgusting. All I could think about was how people were punished like that in the Air Force, and what it did to the minds and wills of ADULTS, and how it could really mess a kid up.

No comments:

Post a Comment