Thursday, May 29, 2014

Similarities and Differences

There are some similar ideals between my own and Rafe's philosophy. Like him, I feel like there is a need for the basics to be stressed (grammar and the like) and have a strong desire to teach outside of the standard curriculum. I feel like we share the idea that teaching should be a very personal experience, and that the connection between teacher and student should be strong. After all, you are one of the most influential people in a kid's life for almost an entire year of their childhood.

I think the four most important opportunities in his classroom are:

- The ability to be yourself
- The ability to be pushed by someone who believes that you are ass good as you think you can be
- The ability to learn things that other children are not as lucky to study
- The ability to be involved in a classroom that has evolved into a true community

The four questions that I would want to ask him are:

- What did you do when the ideas you had weren't coming along the way you wished?
- How did you deal with parents in what many could consider a very unconventional classroom setting?
- What would you say to critics of your own now that you have become successful, well-respected in your community, and a published author?
- What is the most simple piece of advice that you refused to "buy" into until you were much further in your career?


No comments:

Post a Comment